A Smart, Simple, Secure Medical Lock Box
Riemer System’s vision is to have a positive impact on lives by reducing the abuse of home medicines and to help prescription medicine users stay on target.
The underlying problem that we are trying to solve with this upcoming product is overdose and misuse of home medication.
- Drug overdose was the leading cause of injury death in 2012. Among people 25 – 64 years old, drug overdose caused more deaths than motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- The drug overdose death rate has more than doubled from 1999 – 2013.
- In 2013, 35,663 (81.1%) of the 43,982 drug overdose deaths in the United States were unintentional, 5,432 (12.4%) were of suicidal intent, and 2,801 (0.06%) were of undetermined intent.
- In 2011, drug misuse and abuse caused about 2.5 million emergency department (ED) visits. Of these, more than 1.4 million ED visits were related to pharmaceuticals.
- Between 2004 and 2005, an estimated 71,000 children (18 or younger) were seen in EDs each year because of medication overdose (excluding self-harm, abuse and recreational drug use).
- Among children under age 6, pharmaceuticals account for about 40% of all exposures reported to poison centers.
- In 2013, of the 43,982 drug overdose deaths in the United States, 22,767 (51.8%) were related to pharmaceuticals.
- In 2011, about 1.4 million ED visits involved the non-medical use of pharmaceuticals. Among those ED visits, 501,207 visits were related to anti-anxiety and insomnia medications, and 420,040 visits were related to opioid analgesics.
Our Solution is to create a secure storage solution for home medications that employs modern design, has a keyless entry (iButton), and provides tools to assist in managing these medications. Along with the smartphone access via bluetooth/app that comes with the unit, reminders and alerts are sent out to the different individuals taking the medication and supervisor (if need be). We include tracking (audit trail of when and by whom the rCUBE was accessed) for the medications.